December 5, 2007

Snow? Snow!!! SNOW (#*$^#$!!!!

It's snowing in the greater DC-toilet-bowl area today. It's the first snow of the season, so I'm pretty happy about this. I'm happier than I was last night, because the weather forecast called just for snow showers. We're now supposed to get 1 to 3 inches.

My happiness has been pretty short lived though. I forgot to factor in what snow does to the commute. It's so bad that if people hear that it's going to snow -- it doesn't have to actually be snowing -- traffic gets all snarled up. Seriously. Traffic was at a standstill on parts of 395 this morning and there was no snow in sight. Metro placed speed restrictions on all their trains. I bet there's going to be a run on bread, milk and toilet paper at all the grocery stores tonight as well.

I love snow. I love living in DC. I don't love the 2 of them together. It's like the difference between online stats and real-world reality. Where it might take 12 inches of snow to shut down Columbus, Ohio or Igloo-Sur-La-Lac, Montana, the mention of a possible 1 inch will do the trick in DC. You'd think it's a blizzard outside.

This was the requisite moan and whine about wintertime in DC post. We all do it every year. Because we've had 9 months to forget about how heinous it is.

5 comments:

jen said...

igloo-sur-la-lac? uh... not cold enough here for igloos, especially with chinook winds.

(it has gotten below 0 here but the snow comes in bands, none of which have really hit my part of the hi-line yet.)

Jo said...

Well, well you want a battle of nature vs. dumb ass people, huh? Well in the city that rains, people like to drive into ditches when the rain looks too white. Not snow, just rain. The stuff they see everyday from October to April. God forbid an actual snow flake should hit the ground. Then its time to pull out the snow chains. FOR ONE FUCKING SNOW FLAKE!

I am just practicing for my upcoming weather related blog entry. What do ya think?

AJ said...

@JO -- sounds good. I challenge you to handicap yourself and NOT use curse words.

@Jen -- I see my imaginary village of Igloo-Sur-La-Lac was not a hit :-D Anywho, I'm sure the folks in Montana don't lose their minds and any driving skills when it snows.

jen said...

no.. but they sure as heck can't park in it!!!!

(we have a couple inches on the ground and driving isn't too bad. parking on the other hand when the lines marking the spaces are gone...)

AJ said...

Isn't it amazing how snow just turns people into slack-jawed drooling idiots?