August 21, 2007

Fashion Faux Pas

I spent most of my weekend hanging out with my friend Joy. (Except for Sunday when I retrieved the Majordomo from the airport. He was kind of whiny, but we can't hold that against him because he did have a very long week. And a long flight.)

Anywho, Joy and I found ourselves at the DSW, which probably wasn't too smart of an idea, because we both have little self-control when it comes to shoe shopping. I didn't spend too much and I walked out with 2 pairs of shoes. Later in the evening, I took a pair of the shoes out and I noticed that the leather where the eyelets for the shoelaces are were 2 different colors. Closer examination revealed they were also 2 different leathers: suede and hard leather.

I went back to DSW the next day to exchange the shoes for a matching pair. The cashier was very pleasant and let me do the exchange no problems. The interesting part of the experience happened when the cashier called her manager over to ask what should be done with the mismatched shoes.

Manager: Oh, this is really just a fashion thing. Put them back out on the shelf.
Me: [staring incredulously at manager] Are you kidding? Those are 2 different shoes!! There's 2 different types of leather on those shoes -- one's suede and the other's dark leather.
Manager: I was just kidding, couldn't you tell?
Me: No.
Manager: Well I can see why this would bother you. Maybe after a few drinks out on the town you'd look down at your shoes and be all like 'hey, these don't match.'

At this point I just stopped talking to her altogether. The exchange finished, I walked out of the store. I get that she was trying to be funny after a what we'll generously call a failed joke. And I wasn't drunk when I noticed the problem, nor had I worn the shoes at all. You can bet from now on I'll thoroughly examine shoes from now on. Because you know the minute I left the store, the manager put those shoes back out on the shelf.

1 comment:

Brian M. Conrad said...

Yeah, was she insinuating that you're a drunk!? Sure, it used to be true. But not any more...