January 2, 2007

Homecoming

The holidays were very good to the Major and I. We got to spend some good quality time with my family. The nephew was as hyper as ever, and it was really cool to see him playing with Roxy. The two of them chased each other around my parents’ backyard non-stop. I think the best part of it was Zachary was ‘playing’ football with the dog (i.e., “you’re the other team Roxy and you have to keep me from the end zone”) and the dog was just happy to chase the human that had her ball.

My niece is a very cute 6-month old. And she cries whenever I go anywhere near her. Most people would be a little bothered by this. I think it’s a cool superpower to have. And it’ll be great story to tell her later when she’s old enough to understand.

The rest of the trip was spent sitting around watching TV, eating really good food, sitting around the dining room table talking and working on a puzzle – a puzzle with a lot of pieces that were exactly the same color. I think I got more out of seeing my relatives than the Major did, but as always he got along famously with them.

We came home a lot lighter in the present department, but a lot richer for having spent a relaxing time with family. I think this was one of the best Christmases I’ve ever had.

No comments: